Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Digging for Treasure

Bookh lounged in the water with her eyes closed, soaking in the hot mineral pool on the outskirts of Shattrath. The steamy water was soothing her aching muscles, but it could not soothe her frustration with her recent archeological pursuits. She had been inspired to try her hand at the new fad of archeology by several of her friends who had found valuable items. Unfortunately, most of the things Bookh had found so far were useless to her. Sure, the pet was cute, and the mount was nice, if a bit bony for long distance riding, but so far, she'd found none of the marvelous items of power she'd heard of others finding. Probably the only thing of value she had found was an ancient shaman's helm, but it held no interest to her. "I be wasting my time grubbin in da dirt like a bloody dwarf," she thought, annoyed.

Suddenly a soft sound caught her attention, and she opened her eyes to see a female draenei holding the helm and staring intently at it.

“Hey dere!” Bookh shouted, half rising from the water.

The draenei started, nearly dropping the helm, but she placed it carefully down on the pile of Bookh's belongings and backed away slowly. “No harm, no harm” she babbled in broken Orcish, and stopped, poised as if to flee.

Bookh eyed the youngster, and her rather ragged looking gear, and switched to Common. “Whatcha be doin lookin at my stuff, blue girl?”

The young draenai's gaze returned almost involuntarily to the helm while Bookh spoke, the longing in her eyes almost palpable, then she replied, her voice trembling.

“I meant no harm, Honored One. I felt the call of the spirits in your helm. It is an item of great elemental power. I am but a young shaman, but I sensed it strongly and it drew me here. I am a healer, you see, and I currently am helping at the orphanage in Shattrath. My name is Shaa'nar Ba'rishti - Blue Sun” she bowed respectfully to Bookh.

Bookh smiled, “I be a healer too, little Blue.” She paused a long moment, thinking. “I don't know all dat much about how da shaman types do yer healing. Would dis helm be of help to ya?”

Blue shook her head sadly. "As much as I would wish it, this helm would be more suited to more offensive spells. I dabble with them on occasion, but my heart is for healing."

Bookh looked consideringly at the young would-be healer, then nodded slowly.

 “I need ya to do somethin for me, little Blue.” Blue nodded emphatically, glancing at the helm again, then back at Bookh.

"Of course, Great Lady," Blue replied, bowing respectfully.

Bookh chuckled, a smile on her face. “My name is Bookh, little Blue. I need you to guard my belongings for a few minutes.”

“Of course, Honored One…ah, Bookh.” Blue smiled tentatively as Bookh turned to go.

Bookh shifted to her flight form and darted towards the center of Shattrath, to Blue's utter amazement. Blue spent the next little while in rapturous contemplation of the helm, glancing up every now and then to look for Bookh's return.

After a fairly short time, Bookh returned, a carrying a good-sized bundle. She placed it into Blue's arms, and chuckled at the stunned look on the shaman's face.

"Well open it, will ya?" Bookh prompted with a grin.

With trembling fingers, Blue unwrapped the package, to find a helm, shoulders, cape and chest armor perfectly suited for a healing shaman, fairly crackling with elemental power.

"These….are for me?" Blue asked, astonished. "But surely they are too valuable…" she dropped to one knee, still clinging to the gear as if to a lifeline, tears of joy beginning to form in her eyes.

"LIFE is valuable, little Blue" Bookh said quietly, but intensely. "I got a lotta respect for da Earthen Ring, and anyone who is as drawn to healing as you should have every help ya can get. Besides, I been diggin up so much trash lately, twas nice to do a bit of shoppin for someone who needed it."

"But….but….our peoples are enemies," Blue stammered, still clutching tightly to the precious bundle.

Bookh snorted softly. "I don't hold with blaming a whole people for da actions of a few hotheads. All races have good and bad folks in em, and not any one of em is better or worse." She paused for a moment, then her grin widened. "Matter of fact, I have a good friend, a Tauren, whose mate is Draenai like yerself."

Blue's eyes grew wide, "Truly? That is something i never would have imagined."

Bookh chuckled, " I don't tink Mato really expected it either, but dey do well together. In any case, use dese in good health" Bookh winked at the young healer.

Blue rose slowly, and somehow managed to bow deeply without dropping her precious burden. "I will never forget this, Honored Bookh. I will do my best to touch many lives with this healing power." She bowed again, and turned to go.

"One moment," Bookh interrupted, rummaging through her pile of belongings and remnants of her archeological explorations.  "Do you tink ya could use dese too?" and held up a set of oddly shaped wind chimes.

Both of them began to giggle…

No comments:

Post a Comment