Sunday, February 20, 2011

'Family' Reunion

Bookh grumbled as she viewed the trampled grass in the Moonglade meadow. The Lunar Festival was over now, and the normal peaceful atmosphere had returned to the druid enclave. She hated the crowds that always invaded Moonglade during this festive season, and tried to avoid errands that would force her to endure the presence of so many strangers in what she had always considered a refuge from the outside world.

'Night elves are too welcoming for their  own good sometimes,' she thought wryly. Why, she’d heard they’d even given over part of their capital city to a ragged band of refugees from Gilneas. She snorted softly as she thought of the Worgen. If the elders of the Cenarion Circle were apoplectic about the revelation of Troll Druids, she wondered how their reaction to the Worgen Druids had been. 

Bookh’s reverie was interrupted by a quiet, slightly gruff voice.

“Excuse me, Lady. May I ask a question?”

She turned to see a Worgen, bowing respectfully to her. She frowned a bit in concentration, her gaze passing over the white streak in the younger Druid’s fur. There was something vaguely familiar…she shook herself and replied to the patiently waiting youngster.

“Do I know ya?”

“I am afraid not Lady. I have never seen a Troll Druid before. You are quite…intimidating.”

Bookh threw back her head and laughed heartily."Then ya must be a brave one to face one as terrifyin' as me.” Bookh mimicked a fierce growl, then laughed again and motioned the Worgen to come sit beside her.
“I never met a Worgen either, “ Bookh grinned as she looked at the feral form seated beside her. “Ya seem pretty fierce yerself.”

“Perhaps this will be less intimidating” the Worgen winked at Bookh with a twinkle in her eye, shimmered and reformed as a red-haired human female, still with that distinctive white stripe in her hair.

Bookh chuckled and nodded. “Ah, much better. I ‘ll not be tempted to flee in terror now.” She smiled at the younger Druid and asked politely, “So, what brings ya to Moonglade? Ya’ve missed the Lunar Festival, ya know.”

The younger Druid shuddered delicately. “I do not care for such crowds, for all their celebration. It is too hard on the surroundings.” She looked mournfully at the trampled grass in the meadow before her.

Bookh nodded in agreement

“So many memories,” the young druid murmured as she looked around, a wistful look on her face.

“Ah, so ye’ve been here before?” Bookh said, curiously.

The younger druid nodded.

“Aye, although my people were forbidden to leave Gilneas before the invasion, my desire for learning the druidic path was so great that my elders reluctantly allowed it, but only if I were sworn to secrecy.”

Bookh looked a bit puzzled, but waited patiently for her to continue

“I was sworn to secrecy, and heavily enchanted with enchantments that disguised me as a Night Elf. No one ever knew, not even my dear foster brother.” She chuckled wryly.
“I know he got frustrated with me at times, because those very enchantments caused me no little difficulty in spellcasting, specifically healing spells.” She sighed again. “It has been so long since I’ve seen him. I came here to try and find him, as we had lost touch. I want to show him how far I’ve come.”

A dawning realization swept over Bookh as she stared again at the white streak in the worgen’s hair. “Kit? Little Sister?”

Kit leapt up and took a step backward. “How do you know me? I have never met you before. Besides, no one has ever called me “Little Sister but….” Kit broke off as Bookh nodded slowly. “But…but….how?”

“You’d best sit down Little One, this is quite a tale,” Bookh chuckled and patted the log they had been sitting on. She quickly related the tale of her recent experiences, and the changes they had wrought. Kit sat there, dumbfounded for a moment, then moved to hug Bookh.

“Dear one, it seems the face of the world is not all that has changed. I am just glad to have finally found you again.” Bookh smiled and returned the hug.

“I want to hear all about yer adventures since we last met, Little Sister.  Come to my place and we can…oh” Bookh  paused a moment, a blush coloring her cheeks.

“What’s wrong?” Kit asked, concerned.

“Nothing wrong, just another…change,” Bookh paused a moment. “Ya see, I don’t live in Bloodhoof anymore. Remember my old friend Derrial? Well, we..ah….” her words stumbled to a stop and she blushed even more.

Kit threw her head back and laughed merrily. “Ah, I want to hear EVERYTHING!” she giggled and hugged her dear friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment